Splunk.Net

[home] [64bit putty] [About]

Another New Move, Finally

01 Feb 2014 in personal

Well over a year ago I wrote about wanting to migrate my blogging platform to something new to replace Wordpress. Well since then I have moved my blog but I’m honestly not happy with what I’ve moved to. I don’t have anything particularity bad to say about Ghost, I just don’t like it. Maybe it’s because things aren’t quite finished yet for Ghost. The other thought I have is that Ghost is still too much for my liking. The other thing I’ve wanted to do for a long time is figure out how to take advantage of the github pages to host my site and that requires to either go back to building my own static sites again (does anyone actually do that anymore?) or man up and dive into jekyll. And this site was born, again.

I’ve only started to scratch the surface of what jekyll can do, but I do see the potential and I have the added bonus of using markdown which I’ve always wanted to do. The idea that I can write posts and pages without needing to have a web page open is pretty nice I must say, and using git to publish the site is pretty elegant too.

The one piece that I needed to figure out was how to keep my SSL requirement met by the site. Then it dawned on me that I can use the custom site name feature of the github pages and pare it with an Nginx reverse proxy. After a few minutes digging on the Google I found this little piece of config.

What this means is that I’ll still need my own web server to handle the SSL termination and initiate the reverse proxy but this gives me much more control over how the page is accessed and if I’m really concerned about an outage of my home server I can always add a Digital Ocean droplet as a DNS round-robin endpoint. This also gives me the ability to maintain my IPV6 functionality since I’ll be handling the hand-off to the back-end over IPV4 but visitors will be able to talk to my servers with native IPV6 support and don’t need to no anything about how the site gets to them.

Well, that’s the news from me for now. I’m sure there is a lot that can be fixed here and as always this will continue to be a work in progress, but I’m hopeful again.

Update

2014/03/10 I might have accidentally configured my new VPS front end server incorrectly and this prevented anyone using IPV4 only from viewing my website. I noticed the issue with my page analytics showed me 1 visit in the last 72 hours. I’ve now fixed the issue, the problem lied in NGINX and my thinking that it opened both IPV6 and IPV4 ports from a single config line which it didn’t. A simple netstat -tulnap | grep nginx would have showed me that it was not listening correctly but I was not wise enough to check it and just assumed I had done things correctly. It is fixed now and I’ve updated my gist of the config to match what I’m currently using.


Load Comments